How to Change Name in a Passport Post-Marriage/Divorce

Name should not be empty

Process Flow:


(a)    A woman applying for change of name/surname in existing passport post-marriage must furnish:


Application form (Form-I) duly filled-in with six photographs


(Note: Please do not staple the photos)

  • Attach present passport, along with two photocopies
  • Furnish two copies of proof of residence
  • Photocopy of the Husband’s passport, if any, and
  • An attested copy of marriage certificate issued by the Registrar of Marriage OR an affidavit from the husband and wife along with a joint photograph, (Specimen at Annexure D).
  • (In cases where the 3 identity documents can be submitted under the new guidelines, along with Annexure-I, passports will be issued on post-police verification basis. In other cases, a police verification will be necessary.)


(b)  Divorcees applying for change of name OR for deletion of spouse’s name in existing passport must furnish


(c)  Re-married applicants applying for change of name/spouse’s name must furnish:

  • Divorce deed/death certificate as the case may be in respect of first spouse, and
  • Document as (a) above relating to second marriage.

(d) In other circumstances for change of name, the applicant (both male and female) should furnish:               

  • Deed poll/sworn affidavit (ANNEXURE ‘E’)
  • Paper cuttings of two leading daily newspapers in original (one daily newspaper should be of the area of applicant’s permanent and present address or nearby area).  

What's your reaction?
Helpful - 49
Not helpful - 9
Need more detail - 0
Name should not be empty